[ale] Interesting problem with Intel S1200BTSR MB

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 14:05:10 EDT 2014

Is the bios console redirect camping on top of the physical serial port?

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Chris Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com>
wrote:

> I'm not expecting you guys to fix this one.  It is an odd one.  I'm just
> documenting it and maybe someone else would have seen this behaviour.
>
> I have 2 systems based on this MB.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121619
>
> System has 2 128GB SSD drives.
>
> Running CentOS 6:
>
> 2.6.32-431.20.3.el6.x86_64
>
> Before vacation I placed one of my management devices with this system and
> configured serial terminal.  I got this working.
>
> The odd behaviour came on reboot.  When I issued a reboot the last message
> on the serial console was "Restarting system".  The system appeared to
> hang.  If I restarted via the reset button the system may not boot.  I
> would see the BIOS post on my LCD, but nothing when accessing the SSD.   I
> ran out of time so I rigged up X10 control so that from PCB I could cycle
> power.  The only way I could get it to boot when i experienced this
> behaviour was to pull power.  X10 solved it.
>
> I had done some much, upgrade, add PCI card, etc that I decided to narrow
> it down before I left.  When I disabled serial console in Grub and the OS
> problem went away.   My conclusion was that this problem may not be
> specific to the Linux kernel, but something about the hardware on the MB.
>  The BIOS does support console redirection, but I've yet tested it to see
> if that fixes the problem.
>
> I run my system headless at Peak 10 using serial console so not having a
> serial console on this one makes me nervous.  I have power control there
> too so I only visit to touch hardware.
>
> This is the first time I experinced a problem like this that was linked to
> running serial console in Linux.
>
> Chris

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*