[ale] Build perl modules during perl build

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Mon Feb 17 22:56:52 EST 2014

On 02/17/2014 10:02 PM, Chris Fowler wrote:
> On 02/17/2014 07:48 PM, JD wrote:
>> Perl has many environment variables that can help you.
>> http://www.perlhowto.com/extending_the_library_path
> I think this will work.  I'm building a PERL tree to be loaded on another
> system.  That system has no tools that will allow CPAN to work.   All modules I
> need must be built and installed into the temporary install directory then
> tar'ed up.

Perlbrew is perfect for that. It lets you run whatever version of perl and
specific modules that are needed without any system perl or other app
dependencies.  Plus most system perls are buggy and unpatched for yrs. The only
downside to this is some hosting plans count files and a full perl environment
for a webapp can easily hit 20K tiny files even if only 400MB of storage is used.

Regardless - happy the environment vars will work.