[ale] moving an .iso

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Feb 3 15:46:13 EST 2014

I know I'm late to this party but...

On Tue, 2014-01-21 at 17:40 -0500, Aaron Ruscetta wrote:
> Hey Sean!
>
> You're definitely running into the 4GB file size limit
> of FAT 32 with this SD card issue.  I run into this
> file system concern frequently since I need to
> transfer very large uncompressed or high quality
> video files with colleagues often.

ExFAT?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

> File size limit of 16 EiB–1 byte.[nb 1] (limited by volume size),
> raised from 4 GiB−1 byte in a standard FAT32 filesystem.[2] (The open
> FAT32+[7] specification proposes an extension how to store files up to
> 256 GB on otherwise backward-compatible FAT32 volumes as well. This
> extension is available in some versions of DR-DOS so far, but is
> trivial to implement in other FAT32 implementations as well.)

Most of the larger (32/64GB+) SD cards are preformated with exfat, not
vfat, but you have to use the FUSE exfat file system and utilities on
Linux.  If you reformat the card on Linux using mkfs.vfat, you lose
that.  It's the format my Canon camera uses with 64GB cards, so I've
gotten use to it even though the file size limit isn't important to me.

Regards,
Mike