[ale] What do I need to bridge two networks?

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Sun Feb 2 16:13:40 EST 2014

On 02/02/2014 03:00 PM, Jim Lynch wrote:
> I'm working in a lab that has a single wifi connection to the
> outside.  I don't have any control over the installed router.  I have
> a separate router that I use to connect come of my systems together
> but would like to be able to bridge the two routers somehow.  I don't
> have physical access to the installed router so I'd have to bridge a
> wifi to my router somehow.  It's difficult to attempt to put my
> systems (some of them) on the installed router.
>
> What's the minimum that that I'd need to make this happen, if it's
> even possible?  The router I have is a Cisco/Linksys of some variety.
> I forget the model number but it is several years old. It's running
> the stock Cisco software.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704134&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Wireless+Routers-_-N82E16833704134&ef_id=UuKmRAAAAaiJ7iKB:20140202211128:s

You can get it at Fry's in Duluth.

You put it in bridge mode and connect Ethernet from it to port 1 on your
Cisco.   I'm using one now to bridge a temporary segment in my dining
room as I decommission a server that needs to go.

Chris