[ale] Are the kernel developers a-holes?

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Wed Dec 3 15:00:10 EST 2014

On Wed, Dec 03, 2014 at 02:47:29PM -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> not sure about 6 years ago, but TO DATE, every time I do a linux install
> on my Dell desktop with SoundBlaster card, the sound NEVER works out of
> the box. I always have to figure out how to install Pulse Audio Volume
> control, then start whatever I want to listen to ( vlc, youtube video in
> Chrome..) then open PA volume control, and change it to my SB card.
> Debian, Mint, Fedora, all have the same issue.

It sounds like your problems are due to you having two soundcards
installed and the system defaulting to the builtin one.  This really
isn't a problem with pulseaudio per se; you'll need to pick the correct
default no matter what sort of "sound system" is in use.

The most expedient solution is, if you aren't actually using the builtin
sound device for anything, why not disable it entirely in your BIOS
setup?  The problem just goes away.

However, if you're using GNOME (KDE has similar functionality, and I'm
sure XFCE etc do as well) selection of the default sound device and
speaker configuration is part of the standard sound
configuration/control panel application.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^