[ale] Semi-OT, Windows as VM guest

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Wed Dec 3 14:21:13 EST 2014

Not at all - if the virtual MB, chipsets, disk controller, etc. don't appear to
change, then the virtual machine won't know anything.  I've moved VMs across the
same VM hypervisors without any hiccup too.  The only time it was an issue was
migration between an old KVM and a 4 yr newer KVM release. It took me months to
figure out how to do it without losing all my settings - THAT was more important
to me than getting onto the new VM host.

Moving from physical VM host A running KVM to physical VM host B running a close
version of KVM shouldn't force the Windows VM/guests to freak out at all - just
like with virtualbox, qemu, ESXi, Xen ... provided the virtual hardware
presented is "close enough" as far as Windows license checks are concerned.