[ale] creepy hardware

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 13:30:12 EST 2014

I'm wiping a nearly new mac book pro turned in by a departing developer.

The built in camera is ALWAYS ON. It's used to determine the ambient light
levels to automagically adjust the screen brightness. No indicator light is
on. If I cover the camera with a tiny bit of foil, the screen dims. If I
turn on photobooth, the indicator lights up that the camera is on.

So it appears to have software-only controls over the "don't be naked here"
light.

Yep. Wiping this thing off completely and slamming on Fedora 21 beta. Can't
see using it just out of the shower when I need to look up something real
quick otherwise.

Unless google really wants more data than they can republish :-)

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*