[ale] Managing passwd and sudoers files on multiple servers.

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Fri Aug 22 12:38:24 EDT 2014

On 08/22/2014 12:11 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> the one run I tried on Ubunutu was a total fail. Most likely issue was the
> ubunutu setup itself. Machine owned by total non-admin type and was very
> poorly setup/managed/maintained. It gets rebooted nearly daily and then he
> manually remounts the large data areas as they "move around".

Don't know if I would laugh or cry over that.

I came from a development background - so I know never let developers manage
their own systems.  Bad things happen - if not today, during deployment or
production.  Of course, there may be exceptions to my rule, but I haven't found
any where a developer can be trusted, even myself. The temptation is just to
great.  I feel guilty being admin and developer on my systems.  It is really
hard not to just-fix-it instead of correcting the ansible task/settings and
rerunning the management script - especially on a snowflake server.