[ale] Managing passwd and sudoers files on multiple servers.

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 07:59:53 EDT 2014

Bite the bullet and look at freeIPA. It's designed to run AD out of the
workplace.
The clincher for me was the hostgroup. All users are in a primary group and
as many secondary groups as needed. Hosts are also in groups or not. User
groups of the proper type can access host groups as allowed. This can also
setup sudo capabilities by user, user group, host and host group. So a
script that runs as root that does a particular needed task can be deployed
to all systems but only accessed by allowed users on allowed hosts. Time
controls exist as well.

Backups of freeIPA are a bit unnerving. They basically don't exist other
than turn down the service and copy all files. What is used is the multi
master replication.

I have 2 primary masters that are department wide. There's a new group in a
remote location that has their own big server. It's a secondary master.
Masters run DNS as well as user with. So the clients in that group use that
as their primary DNS and the others as secondary. If network is flaky, they
have only a single switch between client and server. And the server stays
synchronized with the larger group.
A really nice feature if freeIPA is it can hold ssh pub keys for users. SSh
and Pam knows to check the LDAP for pub keys on login. For users, no more
key migration. If you're allowed on that machine, it just works. For
admins, if a user must be locked out, just dumping their key and locking
the account to disabled handles it.

Yes, it's run/funded by RedHat now. Debian supports it but I found some
blockers in Ubuntu (10 I think. Not tried 12). I don't know if SUSE has a
pam/ssh compatible or not.
It works. It works very well. Active support community with developers on
the mailing list who help.

Added bonus is dogtag is used for CA and cert management. This can provide
user certs for authenticated access to internal websites.