[ale] [WAY THE HELL OFF TOPIC] -- but accurate

Tom Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Sat Aug 16 14:04:49 EDT 2014

The best Linux based GPS navigation/routing/what have you solution?

I got really fond of my old Nokia 810 bluetooth linked to an external
receiver. I disremember the map program, but it provided much
entertainment for some elderly children that I get to cart around (elderly
being 75+). Take it up to the maximum resolution of the program, hand off
the device, and drive two or three laps around a roundabout to much
pleasure of said elders. It also had a very nice speedometer/odometer
which made it dead simple to check the vehicle's equipement every so
often.

It should be possible to recreate the device with either a raspberrypi or
beaglebone black, 7" or 10" touch screen (older eyes seem to _really_ like
bigger screens) and appropriate gps and wireless modules. It really should
be a project that even I should be able to do.