[ale] [WAY THE HELL OFF TOPIC] -- but accurate

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Fri Aug 15 16:39:18 EDT 2014

On 2014-08-15 12:30, Jim Lynch wrote:
> On 08/15/2014 02:10 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
>> If the highest speed limit in the US is 75mph, why do cars have
>> speedometers that typically go to 120mph. Like my wife's (long gone)
>> Dodge
>> Omni had a max speed of about 90mph (tested - downhill with a
>> tailwind) but
>> the speedo topped at 120. My Porsche reads to 165. I have yet to find
>> it's
>> top end - I need a track for that:-)   (once it's back on the road - old
>> cars have old parts that are hard to find)
>>
>> The smart-assed physicist in me thinks 75 is total bogosity. The_REAL_
>> speed limit is "c":-)
> Actually there is a stretch of I-10 in west Texas where the posted limit
> is 80.  It's west of El Paso a ways.

Parts of I-40 in Arizona and New Mexico are posted 80 and there's a
petition to raise it to 85.  Arizona drops the speed limit to 55 within
range of Flagstaff and New Mexico drops it to 65 within range of
Albuquerque.

It does come in handy when driving between Atlanta and Los Angeles,
makes the trip a tiny bit shorter. :)