[ale] Disk Space used in the past 5 days

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 14:28:00 EDT 2014

David,

Try to see how much space I use in 5 days, so I can plug into a spread
sheet to figure up the cost, they give different rates for how much we
store.

Thanks I will try that.

By way, we need to do lunch.

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 2:23 PM, David Ritchie <deritchie at gmail.com> wrote:

> Are you trying to fix this (find out what is filling up the file system) or
> simply tracking usage?
>
> for finding big files, I use
>
>    cd <mountpoint>;  find . -xdev -size +1000000c -exec ls -l {} \; | sort
> -n -k 5
>
> Change the size to suit your own preferences and add -mtime to taste.
>
> -- David
>

> On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 1:11 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yep. sounds like a cron job with 'du' iterated over many, many
> directories
> > and data stored in a rrdb project.
> > you can set directory depth and even show mtime.
> >

> > On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 1:01 PM, Lightner, Jeff <
> JLightner at dsservices.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > It isn't likely to give you what you need anyway.   While you could get
> > > the current size of any file changed in the last 5 days it is quite
> > likely
> > > that many of the files (especially logs) simply grew in that period.
> > That
> > > is to say the space they're currently using may be more than they began
> > > using in the last 5 days unless they were also created in that time.
> > > Similarly if you did ctime instead of mtime it would show you the ones
> > > created in that period but would leave out any growth in existing
> files.
> > >
> > > To get "growth" you'd have to have a baseline (e.g. total sizes today)
> > > then compare to that at some future point (e.g. 5 days from now).   You
> > > could create a cron job to store the information each day.

Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne

(678) 636-9678
openSUSE -- Terrorpup
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
Community Manager -- Southeast Linux Foundation (SELF)
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want to
package and distribute , or create your own linux distro. Give SUSE Studio
a try.
See you at Southeast Linux Fest, June 19-21, 2015 in Charlotte, NC.