[ale] Disk Space used in the past 5 days

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 13:54:10 EDT 2014

That great guys to say I need a cronjob, but my main issue how do I get
data I need. I am stuck on this and I am not getting the feed back from du
like I want.

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 1:11 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yep. sounds like a cron job with 'du' iterated over many, many directories
> and data stored in a rrdb project.
> you can set directory depth and even show mtime.
>

> On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 1:01 PM, Lightner, Jeff <JLightner at dsservices.com>
> wrote:
>
> > It isn't likely to give you what you need anyway.   While you could get
> > the current size of any file changed in the last 5 days it is quite
> likely
> > that many of the files (especially logs) simply grew in that period.
> That
> > is to say the space they're currently using may be more than they began
> > using in the last 5 days unless they were also created in that time.
> > Similarly if you did ctime instead of mtime it would show you the ones
> > created in that period but would leave out any growth in existing files.
> >
> > To get "growth" you'd have to have a baseline (e.g. total sizes today)
> > then compare to that at some future point (e.g. 5 days from now).   You
> > could create a cron job to store the information each day.

Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne

(678) 636-9678
openSUSE -- Terrorpup
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
Community Manager -- Southeast Linux Foundation (SELF)
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want to
package and distribute , or create your own linux distro. Give SUSE Studio
a try.
See you at Southeast Linux Fest, June 19-21, 2015 in Charlotte, NC.