[ale] burning blu-ray discs

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 15:40:56 EDT 2014

The m-disk reads like a Cd/DVD/Blu-ray but the data doesn't degrade. It's
extrapolated lifetime is 1000 years based on Navy stress testing.
It's only for archival storage. Uses a special burner (that doesn't cost
but maybe a few dollars more than a normal one) to write the disks. Any
reader can read them.

Typical lifetime of a spinning disk (in use) is 5-8 years (for enterprise
grade, 24-7 on line). Tape's can last 20-30 years with proper storage (LTO6
2.5TB is rated for 30 years with proper storage and costs $60/tape - the
drive is $4k)

The mdisk is a specialty archival media. Think financial records, tax
records, family records, etc. or 42 thousand pictures of your cats per
blu-ray disk :-)

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 3:06 PM, JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:

> On 08/13/2014 10:25 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> > M-Disc Bluray Recordable Media 25 GB Branded (25 Disc Pack) $130
>

> Guess I'm just confused by optical media these days. It isn't cheaper,
> isn't as
> convenient, it isn't re-writable 100,000x AND costs more than a spinning
> disk.
>
> I suppose if there are HIPPA or other regulatory requirements, but in a
> house?
> What am I missing?
>
> BTW, I have over 1,000 backup DVDs here (mix of 4.7 and 8G) ... but stopped
> using optical when HDDs became less expensive.  Slowly moving those to
> 2+TB HDDs
> that can be connected via a USB3 dock.
>
> Can someone please enlighten me?

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*