[ale] Linux for senior citizens

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Wed Sep 18 17:42:56 EDT 2013

My 82 yr old Mom used Lubuntu for 3 yrs and was relatively happy. She passed a
few months ago.  It was 10.04, then 12.04 - kept her on LTS releases for the
stability.

Stock Ubuntu needs too much power in the GPU to be considered for most non-new
machines.  Mom started on a P4 but ended up on a Core i7. We just moved the HDD
over and she didn't see any difference. The P4 motherboard just stopped working
one day. The only comment about the new machines was it was "a little faster."
She loved that everything was exactly as before, even the printer stuff.  Mom
liked printing things to read.