[ale] Linux for senior citizens

mute wonder mutewonder at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 15:49:08 EDT 2013

My parents, who are...not elderly but totally tech challenged, absolutely
had trouble with Slackware, Vector, and Puppy.  However, Puppy was their
happiest experience and my worst: it required a lot of tuning on my part,
but was very easy to perform simple tasks with on their part.  Lots and
lots of tuning.  Nowadays, I just throw Ubuntu at everyone; it's easy
enough to manage once the install has been wrangled through, has nice
plug-n-play features that keep everyone away from me for the most part, and
keeps the nitty-gritty out of the way.  Yeah, the frustration of fixing
people's malware-ridden Windows boxes just kills me, especially when I keep
repeating the same tips to help them avoid simple issues...and they ignore
them.

Sorry, guys. I'm hassled and venting.