[ale] Android 4 vm running BLAZING fast

Byron Jeff byronjeff at mail.clayton.edu
Tue Oct 29 12:21:31 EDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 07:35:50AM -0400, Vernard Martin wrote:
> On 10/28/2013 11:16 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> >Hi guys,
> >
> >I had to share this with you.  As I mentioned in some prior
> >threads, I've been trying to get an Android tablet emulator
> >running to do some testing and docs.  I was originally trying to
> >use the emulator from the Android sdk, within a Mint VM.  I got
> >this running, but it was DOG slow, taking 10 minutes to boot and 5
> >seconds to respond to a mouse click.  It also didn't have google
> >apps like the play store.
> >
> >It was unusable!
> >
> >I've now got an alternate solution going from:
> >
> >http://www.genymotion.com/
> >
> >and I LOVE it.  It's running as a pure VM within Virtualbox.  It
> >doesn't require Java or Eclipse, although the docs say it can work
> >with the Android Development Kit.
> >
> >Now, get this, my tablet simulator is running FASTER than my REAL
> >Android tablet.  I'm not kidding.  It boots in 20 seconds and
> >responds to mouse clicks in 1/2 sec.
> >
> >If you have an interest in simulating Android tablets or phones,
> >you need to check this out.
> Thanks for the tip. I'll have to give this one a shot. I recently
> acquired an Android tablet myself and I might get back into writing
> apps for it. I had given it up after it occurred to me that I was
> going through way too much effort to write apps for my phone :)

This is the primary reason I was attracted to Scipting Layer for Android:
(SL4A) http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/

SL4A facilitates scripting in familiar languages such as Python, PHP,
Javascript, Ruby, and Lua. Development can be done on the device. Also it
has a couple of decent mechanisms for remote development.

Each language has a thinly skinned facade to most of the underlaying
Android API.

The two things I haven't been terribly thrilled about are intents
integration and lack of access to many of the useful content providers such
as the calendar (which remains unpublished unfortunately)

BAJ

> Vernard

Byron A. Jeff
Chair: Department of Computer Science and Information Technology
College of Information and Mathematical Sciences
Clayton State University
http://faculty.clayton.edu/bjeff