[ale] Assembly Language?

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Sun Oct 27 10:03:37 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I wanted to reply in more depth since I didn't feel like it the other day, plus, add a few comments of my own.

So, thanks to all the following people for all the following things, plus anyone I may have missed in this list:

Jim K, for the link regarding inline assembly in gcc.  That certainly could be useful at some point.

Mike T, for technical data regarding 32 and 64 bit assembly, docs, and assemblers.  This will be helpful if I get very deep into the topic.

Ed C, for drpaulcarter info, source destination mnemonic, and hardware access info.  Re, att vs intel, etc.  It always really bugs me when industry giants create two or more mutually incompatible ways of doing things.  I'm relatively firmly convinced that, if the electric lamp and the telephone were invented today, that we'd need 57 different types of adapters to match all the phones and lamps to all the houses because every vendor would have a different incompatible solution.  And, if a phone happened to need an electrical outlet, just forget it.

Charles S, info on Forth.  I scanned over the online book you mentioned.  Forth does have some interesting attributes.  By the way, googling for forth was really interesting and not fun, since it's a very common word and has some sound alike words, which google also returns.  I ended up with a search like term like:

+"forth" -"fourth" -"go forth" -"send forth" -"cry forth" computer programming language

except I had many more exclusions.

Byron Jeff, I wasn't entirely sure which was your first and which was your last name, so, if it's backwards, I apologize.  For interesting perspective on why not to use assembly and forth info.

I'm going to post some more comments on Leam's modified variation of this thread.

Sincerely,

Ron