[ale] Survey - preferred Linux distro, desktop, and browser.

Edward Holcroft eholcroft at mkainc.com
Fri Oct 18 14:46:54 EDT 2013

*Desktop distribution:* At the office - Debian Wheezy stable 64 bit (push
my work machine to the limit and Unity a.) just kept breaking and b.) made
my work harder to do, so switched in frustration, and c.) was looking for
an excuse to have a dedicated Debian box anyway). At home: Ubuntu latest 64
bit. Have also used over the years, used Mandrake/Mandriva and Fedora for a
fair spell, went through a Gentoo phase - great fun, but way too hard for
me! As an ex-South African, let me tell y'all something you may not have
known about the word gentoo: A gentoo in Cape Malay slang is a
hooker/prostitute, named after the ship named Gentoo in which they arrived
at the Cape of Good Hope.
*Desktop manager:* At office: Gnome 3.4. At Home: Unity latest, for better
or for worse! Not crazy about it, but not pissed off enough to switch to
Mint. Used to be a big fan of KDE 3 through 3.5 on Mandrake, liked the look
of what they did with KDE4 but never quite got my head around it, so
switched to Gnome when I tried Ubuntu back in the Hoary Hedgehog days, just
for the fun of it and never left the building. Also use xfce and lxde on
some low-spec boxes. Tried KDE again about 2 years ago, still not for me.
*Browser:* Chrome 80%, Chromium 10%, Firefox 10% (mostly due to handy
Amazon EC2 and S3 plugins). My kids, interestingly, seem to prefer Firefox.

ed

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 7:37 PM, Beddingfield, Allen <allen at ua.edu> wrote:

> We have quite a bit of discussion back and forth about various desktops,
> browsers, and distros, but I don't think we have done a survey of
> everyone's favorites.
>
> So...
>
> What is your preferred desktop distribution?
> What is your preferred desktop/window manager?
> What is preferred browser?
>
> For me:
> Preferred desktop distro:  OpenSUSE
> Preferred desktop/window manager:  XFCE.  I was a Gnome user up until 3.x.
> Preferred browser:  Firefox.  Now that Chrome is the only way to get
> updated Flash player on Linux, I have it installed, and I'm sure I will be
> forced to use it for certain things - at least until the remains of Flash
> are finally wiped from the earth :D
>
> Oh, and I don't want to start an argument - just a discussion!  There are
> no wrong answers, just different answers.
> --
> Allen Beddingfield
> Systems Engineer
> The University of Alabama

Edward Holcroft | Madsen Kneppers & Associates Inc.
3020 Holcomb Bridge Rd. NW | Norcross, GA 30071
O (770) 446-9606 | M (770) 630-0949

--
MADSEN, KNEPPERS & ASSOCIATES USA, MKA Canada Inc. WARNING/CONFIDENTIALITY
NOTICE: This message may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not