[ale] Ale subscribers

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 08:36:22 EDT 2013

On Oct 17, 2013, at 10:02 PM, Michael Potter <michael at potter.name> wrote:

> When considering candidates for a job I will search for their comments on forums and see if they treat other people with civility.
>
> That makes this thread productive for me.

And that ends up being the whole crux of all of this, doesn't it?  Civility.  I have passed over people when reviewing resumes for a position before precisely because of how they behaved themselves on mailing lists, online forums, social media, etc.  I have also recommended for individuals on this very list precisely because of their demonstration of knowledge, civility, interaction with others, general "good humor", and inquisitiveness.  They didn't always get the job, but it certainly opened the door.

In the long run, for the good of ALE, I think we lose sight of the fact that employers and potential coworkers do indeed have a window into ALE's list through various means.  I've been in conversations in companies where examples of people's habits were printed out and offered as exhibits in considering them for a position!  In general, any of you who have worked at larger companies and have a pretty good pedigree will attest that when you go in for interviews and have a long history of proving yourself at large companies, the face-to-face ends up being nominal on tech and heavy on determining if you're an @$$ and a team deciding "Can I really work with this person day in and day out?".

I want ALE to be a place that shows the best in all of us, fosters Linux adoption by newbies, reinforces its viability in the enterprise, and we all help each other like a good community should; not a cauldron of backbiting, sniping, and incivility.  It denigrates each of us, makes us look immature and pedantic, denigrates Linux, and detracts from the OS's viability in the eyes of those who are running around hiring nerds and have no idea about the FOSS ethic and have no concept that we will completely trash each other here and then go have a beer together.  They don't get that "out there" and they don't understand.  But, they still hold the purse strings, the interview occasions, and the doors into the big companies.

Besides… I think we all generally like each other.  It's how we handle the "annoyances" that broadcasts our character…warranted or not.

--jms