[ale] Survey - preferred Linux distro, desktop, and browser.

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Fri Oct 18 08:11:37 EDT 2013

On 10/17/2013 07:37 PM, Beddingfield, Allen wrote:
> What is your preferred desktop distribution?

I /use/ Fedora (currently 20 Alpha), simply because it (mostly) matches
what I put into production.  I started using CentOS (and occassionally
Fedora) for servers because of commonality of RHEL/CentOS/SL in business.

I /prefer/ Gentoo.  System updates with Gentoo are almost always faster
than system updates with yum, even though Gentoo builds from source and
yum simply downloads and installs binary packages.  However, I find
using Gentoo on servers to be somewhat difficult for many applications.

> What is your preferred desktop/window manager?

At the moment, I use Cinnamon.  I switched from GNOME 3 because GNOME 3
wasn't terribly responsive.  I like GNOME 3's UI and so forth, but I
really don't like how it lags on my system.  My system isn't a weak box;
it's got 6 64-bit cores and 8 GiB of RAM, it shouldn't really be
possible to bring it to its knees easily.

Also, the fact that GNOME is increasingly allergic to configuration
settings is a problem for me.  I like to customize my desktop.

I've actually seriously considered writing my own setup that is both
customizable and æsthetic.  The availability of Wayland/Weston has
renewed interest in this idea in me, though as is usually the case, I
don't have the time to do something about it.

> What is preferred browser?

I use Firefox for my primary browser.  That said, being involved in Web
development on a somewhat regular basis means that I use many Web
browsers all the time.

    --- Mike

--

	Michael B. Trausch

President, *Naunet Corporation*
? (678) 287-0693 x130 or (855) NAUNET-1 x130
FAX: (678) 783-7843