[ale] Please stop spamming the list (Was: Re: researcher develops new secure login procedure)

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Fri Oct 11 09:29:13 EDT 2013

On 10/10/2013 08:32 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> Steve Gibson has just announced some new secure login research he's been doing.  It looks pretty promising and may ultimately be able to substantially replace or augment user names and passwords.  I thought I'd pass it along.  He says it's generating lots of interest, including some from the w3c.  It's open spec and open standard and he's giving it away.  Maybe it will become a standard someday.

Look, we've covered this time and time again.

Steve Gibson is */not/* a security expert.  Stop putting him on a
pedestal, and PLEASE stop spreading bad information.  That new "secure"
login procedure has AT LEAST one fatal flaw, and I think two.  It is not
suitable for use, and in fact straight username and password over TLS is
more secure.

At this point, I am respectfully asking you to quiet down on the list.

The last thread you started was on Windows.

This thread is invoking Gibson (again), despite much rather on-topic
discussion to the fact that Gibson isn't a suitable source of security
information.  This is at least the third or fourth off-topic post from
you this week that I can recall—and quite impolitely without the OT.

Please stop spreading bad information and please stop discussing your
trials and tribulations with your Microsoft products at all on this
list. You can't seem to put "[OT]" in when it needs to be done—so please
just stop altogether.

    Much appreciated,

    Mike

--
Naunet Corporation Logo 	Michael B. Trausch

President, *Naunet Corporation*
☎ (678) 287-0693 x130 or (855) NAUNET-1 x130
FAX: (678) 783-7843