[ale] researcher develops new secure login procedure

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Oct 10 20:32:43 EDT 2013

Hi all,

Steve Gibson has just announced some new secure login research he's been doing.  It looks pretty promising and may ultimately be able to substantially replace or augment user names and passwords.  I thought I'd pass it along.  He says it's generating lots of interest, including some from the w3c.  It's open spec and open standard and he's giving it away.  Maybe it will become a standard someday.

This is from the website:

<quote on>

Proposing a comprehensive, easy-to-use, high security replacement for usernames, passwords, reminders, one-time-code authenticators . . . and everything else.

With Secure QR Login, your phone snaps the QR code displayed on a website's login page . . . . and YOU are securely logged in.

The SQRL system (pronounced “squirrel”) revolutionizes web site login and authentication. It eliminates every problem inherent in traditional login techniques.

</quote off>

I'm not going to even attempt to describe it.  I'll leave that to his website and podcast.

They discuss it on two recent podcasts, along with lots of other things.  Here are some links.

https://www.grc.com/sqrl/sqrl.htm
http://twit.tv/show/security-now/424
http://twit.tv/show/security-now/425

To be honest, the discussion on the podcast rambles a lot.  If you want to get to the heart of the matter, go to the first link where he has docs on the website.

If you want to help in the development, they have news groups where you can join in.

Sincerely,

Ron