[ale] Todays trends

Chris Ricker chris.ricker at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 11:29:05 EDT 2013

On 10/10/13 11:07 AM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:

> Than what version of Nagios?  In Nagios 3.x I can see history for
> servers and specific services as far back as I have logs (which is
> quite a bit).
>
> Graphing isn't built into Nagios unfortunately but there are add-ons
> that will let you do it.
>
> The other benefit to Nagios is there a lot of plugins for various
> purposes you can get without having to develop your own monitors such
> as those for MySQL, Postgresql, Sendmail, CUPs etc...
>
> From what I'm seeing here about Zabbix (which I haven't used) it
> sounds like you have to live with what they monitor rather than being
> able to design your own.

Zabbix can have a very similar agent-plus-plugin model as Nagios. The
output format for plugins is slightly different, though, so if you have
a Nagios plugin that you have source for it's usually a trivial update
to make it Zabbix-compatible instead. There's also a wrapper script you
can use that will wrap the output of Nagios plugins and transform it to
Zabbix format if you don't want to touch the plugin code