[ale] Monitoring (Was "Todays trends")

Jeff Gehlbach jeffg at opennms.org
Wed Oct 9 18:01:36 EDT 2013

On 10/09/2013 05:34 PM, Chris Ricker wrote:

> OpenNMS is a better fit for the network side, where you're dealing
> with SNMP anyway, and where you care almost as much about stats and
> trending and capacity measurement with less of a focus on just up /
> down.

Naturally I'm biased (check my e-mail domain) but this is a
misconception worth speaking up to bust.

There's been an historical perception that this is the case, probably
stemming from the "N" in "NMS". While we certainly try to make OpenNMS a
great network infrastructure management platform, it's also got very
strong up / down capabilities that work just as well for managing
anything with an IP address. Plenty of shops (e.g. RackSpace) have large
implementations that deal chiefly or exclusively with this facet of
server management.

We've also added capabilities in recent years that have nothing to do
with "plumbing" and everything to do with servers, including support for
service-assurance and data collection via WMI and the VMware vSphere APIs.

> Use it to replace that Netcool / OpenView setup you're way overpaying
> for :-)

Good idea. But you should always use whatever works best for you :)

-jeff

--
PGP key fingerprint: A939 FE41 6E8A 22B6 98CD  20AD 47DE 7657 4A4B AE2C