[ale] Monitoring (Was "Todays trends")

Chris Ricker chris.ricker at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 17:34:31 EDT 2013

I see them as different / complimentary tools

OpenNMS is a better fit for the network side, where you're dealing with
SNMP anyway, and where you care almost as much about stats and trending
and capacity measurement with less of a focus on just up / down. Use it
to replace that Netcool / OpenView setup you're way overpaying for :-)

A systems monitor is more about up / down, and then whatever arbitrary
craziness that matters in your environment but isn't really a built-in
trap generator. Stats also matter but they're of secondary concern.
(Which is why I like the Xymon / Nagios model for systems monitors of
"we can collect whatever crazy plugin you whip up" with our agent)

There is some overlap but they primarily target different audiences with
different needs. You can collapse them into one tool, but I've tended to
find keeping the NMS and the SMS separate works cleaner (and aligns with
typical department divisions anyway). But with devops and sdn and cloud
those lines will blur more and more...