[ale] RFID Systems

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Tue May 21 20:54:43 EDT 2013

A tiny SBC on the back-end is probably all you'll need to do live
inventory.  Put a wireless card/dongle on it and set it up for AP mode
to let any WiFi enabled smart phone, laptop or otherwise access it, no
cell connection needed.  It also would give you persistent storage which
you could save and transfer later to do things like determine what
equipment is used (or not used) and how (in)frequently it gets used
(useful for space management on the truck).

The best thing for inventory is to put RFID antennas on the inside and
outside of the truck doors (one pair per access point to the gear).  As
the equipment enters and leaves, you get tag information and direction
(outside before inside, item going in; inside before outside, item going
out).  That makes it idiot resistant and doesn't require any user to
actively think about scanning/wanding/etc.  I was setting up a similar
system for chemical inventory at a semiconductor research fab.  The
chemical bottles were all tagged.  A bottle going into the chemical
cabinet registered +1 inventory and a user pulling out a bottle
registered a -1.

Some of the higher quality readers will report multiple tags at once
which means a Pelican case full of individually tagged items can all be
inventoried in one pass through the antennas.