[ale] RFID Systems

Doug Hall doughalldev at gmail.com
Tue May 21 20:20:17 EDT 2013

I'm researching the use of RFID tags for inventory control for a truck full
of expensive video equipment. At the end of a project, our employees need
to be able to do a quick inventory of all the equipment on the truck, and
be able to quickly account for its contents. Ideally, the system could
leverage an iPhone front end but be served by an open-source back end -
perhaps a Rails application that I can write. They may not have internet
access, though. Sometimes the truck is needed in locations without cellular
access. So, if the application could work offline, that would be great.
It's not mandatory, though. Perhaps all I need to do is learn how to do
local storage in html5.

Any advice or suggestions would be welcomed - especially if you have direct
experience with RFID. I've written an inventory tracking system which uses
bar codes, but for as many (sometimes small) items as they need to track on
this truck, that would take too long. Also, it can be a separate and
simpler system than what I've done.

Thanks for the advice.

Doug