[ale] how do I get graphical remote access to my linux machine

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sat May 4 09:46:51 EDT 2013

On Sat, 2013-05-04 at 05:52 -0400, JD wrote:
> I use freenx as the server.  It uses ssh.keys + user passwd
> credentials.  Should take 10 min to setup following the how to for
> ubuntu. Never tried the no machine srv.

+1 FreeNX
-1 NoMachine NX Server

You can also get it to work with end-to-end ssh keys.  Hint - add the
desired key to both your authorized_keys and that of the nx account and
then set "ForwardAgent" to yes in ~nx/.ssh/config.  I use Remmina on
Linux for the client.  On Winblows you probably want to use the
NoMachine client.

I've tried the NoMachine server in the past and it was a PITA to get to
work and even then didn't work all that well (and didn't support IPv6
and didn't support certain kinds of passthroughs) but that was several
years ago.  I got FreeNX working with a fraction of the effort and it's
in the distro repositories.