[ale] Why should I choose Citrix over Linux Server with M$ virtual server?

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 10:36:00 EDT 2013

Personal, run from Citrix, I have 12 Citrix Xen that are a freaking
Nighmare too me. I have KVM machine that purring like a kitten. I will
send you the horror story that is CX later.

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 4:36 PM, James Taylor
<James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com> wrote:
> Based on your description, it sounds like you are using what is basically an enhance terminal server running a windows client server oracle app, with citrix services handling load balancing.
> That being the case, you would still need virtual windows sessions, so you would probably need to have some way to distribute the load.  Given that you are already a citrix customer, it might be a better option to look into the Citrix XenApp solution. It is equivalent to VMware view, but I think it is less pricey, and you are already a customer, so you could probably get upgrade pricing.
> Plus, no windows servers required, just virtual workstations.
> -jt
>

> James Taylor
> 678-697-9420
> james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

> All,
>
> First, the disclaimer: I worked with Citrix before on the 90s but
> knows nothing about on how it works.
>
> At my current job, we use WYSE terminals to connect to an Oracle 10g
> db running on Unix
> Our environment, you guessed, has a Citrix Farm which works well. The
> "thing" is that when it does not work so well, we are at the mercy of
> the Citrix Guru's, which usually translates into an hour or two of
> downtime x 400 people.
> Primary issue, load balance. Google has an infinite amount of pages on
> the subject and how hard to have it properly configured.
> So, here is the question:
> Would it be better to have Linux servers with SAMBA doing the AD and
> having virtual instances of M$ Servers connecting to it?
> I cannot, for the life of me see Citrix having the advantage on a
> setup like the one described above.
>
> Can someone put some sense into it :-)
>
> Thanks
>
> Sergio
> .
>

> If this is an unsolicited spam message, please click this link to report it: http://control.eastcobbgroup.com:49285/contents/spamreport.shtml?rptid=25751&srvid=16vl15t

Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne

(678) 636-9678
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
Community Manager -- Southeast Linux Foundation (SELF)
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want
Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.
See you at Southeast Linux Fest, June 7-9, 2013 in Charlotte, NC.
www.southeastlinuxfest.org