[ale] asp user learning php?

Chris Ricker chris.ricker at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 09:46:20 EST 2013

On 3/8/13 8:19 AM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:

> I have a friend that does web design using asp that wants to start
> going the open source route.
>
> He specifically asked me about learning php and I have loaned him an
> O'Reilly book that talks about php, MySQL and one other thing as well
> as my Apache book.   I had those but really don't do web design myself.
>
> Are there any good recommendations for what to look at to get up to
> speed on php if one is used to asp?
>
> Specifically he'd asked me if there is a design environment like that
> for asp so he doesn't have to do everything in text editors.   Since
> I'm not familiar with asp I'm not sure what environment he is speaking
> of but thought someone on this list might.

A related tool he may find useful is asp2php which is an offline
converter to translate existing asp pages to php

Last time I used it was probably 10-12 years ago, and at that time it
did a reasonably good job. At least with the sites I migrated with it, I
remember being impressed by how little I had to fix the resulting php
afterwards. No idea how it's kept up with the evolution of both
languages, but might be something for him to be aware of