[ale] [OT] White House Petition to Legalize Mobile-Phone Unlocking

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Tue Mar 5 11:15:38 EST 2013

Looks like the petition is having some effect.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323494504578340623936989386.html

White House Backs Phone 'Unlocking'

WASHINGTON—Americans should be able to take their used cellphones and tablets freely from one wireless carrier to another if they aren't under contract, the White House said Monday, offering the latest victory to Internet activists seeking to shape U.S. technology policy.
The White House said consumers should still be required to honor service agreements.
Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski recently said he intends to look into the issue of unlocked cellphones, a move the White House said it would support. It is unclear what regulatory authority the commission has in this case.
The Library of Congress defended its rule-making process in a statement Monday, but it said it agreed that the issue was worthy of further review in the context of telecommunications policy.