[ale] a quick test of web site stupid

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 18:45:09 EST 2013

On 03/04/2013 12:56 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 12:35 PM, David Tomaschik
> <david at systemoverlord.com <mailto:david at systemoverlord.com>> wrote:
>

>     And these are the companies that wonder why there are some
>     researchers who still prefer "full disclosure" to "responsible
>     disclosure."  (And some pseudo-researchers who prefer "paid
>     disclosure.")
>
> Given the importance of reliable software in a growing number of
> areas, I see a need to have professional licenses for programmers that
> touch finance, health care, public safety, etc. We don't let just
> anyone design a bridge and that's for good reasons. We need to rethink
> this field from a public health and safety perspective.
>
> I can also see a need for mandatory professional certifications for
> System Administrators in those same areas.
>
> ditto for DBA work.

I can see the positive of a licensed programmer, etc. must signoff on
the design, code, etc. would force companies to pay more attention to
best practices upfront (MS, Oracle, looking at you) and try make a
quality product.

This is more of PHB getting what they deserve; a nasty legal hammer that
forces them to do the right thing if only to avoid prison.

Also, licensing might have the effect to force, for example databases,
to more more towards common standards, implementation, and practices
because I doubt the government would tolerate separate licenses for
Oracle, MS SQL, MySQL, etc because of the nasty gotcha differences
between each.
> James P. Kinney III
> ////
> ////Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What
> you gain at one end you lose at the other. It's like feeding a dog on
> his own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
> - Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain
> ////
> http://electjimkinney.org