[ale] a quick test of web site stupid

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 14:59:56 EST 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM, Leam Hall <leamhall at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/04/2013 12:56 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
>
>  Given the importance of reliable software in a growing number of areas,
>> I see a need to have professional licenses for programmers that touch
>> finance, health care, public safety, etc. We don't let just anyone
>> design a bridge and that's for good reasons. We need to rethink this
>> field from a public health and safety perspective.
>>
>> I can also see a need for mandatory professional certifications for
>> System Administrators in those same areas.
>>
>> ditto for DBA work.
>>

> While I personally agree with this, very few companies would choose to pay
> the extra for well coded, secure, apps or systems. The entire concept of
> off shoring financial computing gives me the willies.

I see this as something the insurance companies will start pushing for. We
require professional certification for doctors and lawyers and engineers
and people and companies will pay out the tail for their services.

> So how do you push back as a user? Can we find out which companies
> actually care about security enough to staff it with reasonably bright
> people? That is, not just someone who can pass a CISSP test but actually
> has some clue of how a computer works. Check-lists are good, but they have
> limits.

Right now, no idea. We really need the geeks behind the scenes to pull a
wikileaks when they see the crap happen.

> The flip is understanding that if you're not paying for a service, you're
> the product. Dice.com doesn't even use https for password changes. Facebook
> security? Why? They're mining you and your contacts for all you're worth.
>
> At this point in my life I've come to the understanding that anything I
> have ever done can be known about, and any transaction I make on the net
> can be public. Thus I really monitor what I write and avoid on-line
> transactions except for PayPal and Amazon. Those seem large enough to take
> things seriously.
>
> Leam

James P. Kinney III
*