[ale] OT Fwd: Dc404-Chat New smart locks for your home

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 14:21:19 EDT 2013

If the gov issued ID came with RFID and it's not working anymore, that's
probably a much bigger problem than anyone wants to have. Especially at the
border on the way back in!

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) <
atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> on it to indicate that you can use it wirelessly.  What's the point of
>>> putting it in there if you don't notify the customer that he / she can
>>> use it that way?
>>>
>>> I used one of those 1,000,000 candle power hand held spotlights like you
>>> get at a tool or auto store to look through my cards.  The trick is to
>>> hold the card in such a way so you don't blind yourself in the process.
>>> I don't think any of them have the rf circuitry.  If they do, and I
>>> haven't been informed by the bank, I will be rather annoyed.
>>>
>>> I thought about getting a cheap rfid reader from amazon to tinker with
>>> and test the cards.  5 minutes of searching revealed a large enough
>>> disparity of pricing and technology that I gave up on that for the
>>> moment.
>>>
>>> The following google search yields a large number of results that could
>>> be interesting.  Haven't had time to sort through them.
>>>
>>> (destroy OR disable OR deactivate) rfid credit card
>>>

>>  Yes, if the card has the technology it's marked.  AmEx uses a symbol
>> similar to the radio wave symbol you might see on a WiFi device (do a
>> google search for Wifi Symbol and it's the curved lines that you find in
>> most of the symbols).  Their marketing lingo is ExpressPay.  Visa and
>> Mastercard should have similar symbols or branding on the card.  THey don't
>> put the technology in all of their cards so it has to be obvious which
>> cards do have it.
>>
>> I believe the RFID chip in a credit card is of the LF variety (kHz
>> range).  There is also VHF and UHF RFID technology, too.  Some readers can
>> handle all three types, others only one.  Sparkfun has a few readers, too.
>>
>> While doing a search I found a YouTube video with Adam Savage (of
>> Mythbuster fame) explaining to an audience at a tech show why
>> Discovery/Mythbusters aren't allowed to do an RFID episode (hint, the
>> credit card companies told them no).
>>
>> I'm not a tinfoil hat type person but these things are hackable (same as
>> the passport chips, too).  It wouldn't be much of a problem if the life
>> cycle was shorter but the passports and credit cards are designed to hang
>> around for a few years or more.  If a flaw is discovered that exposes
>> information, there's a very large population of devices out in the field
>> that have to get replaced quickly and that's not easy.

> James P. Kinney III
> *
> *Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you
> gain at one end you lose at the other. It's like feeding a dog on his own
> tail. It won't fatten the dog.
> - Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain
> *
> http://electjimkinney.org
> http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
> *

> Ron Frazier
> 770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
> linuxdude AT techstarship.com
> Litecoin: LZzAJu9rZEWzALxDhAHnWLRvybVAVgwTh3
> Bitcoin: 15s3aLVsxm8EuQvT8gUDw3RWqvuY9hPGUU

James P. Kinney III
*
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain