[ale] Thread safe coding, Java or C

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 16:47:14 EDT 2013

I'm guessing you are asking which is easier to develop thread safe
applications in. If that's the case, I'm going to say C is not it.
Evidence -- [1].

For any hope of "easy" you'd have to switch to C++. Doing that,
though, means spending the time to find the library that works for
you. Hell, Id Software said "eff it" and wrote their own -- [2] (see
[3] for a good review of their model).

I've been doing a lot of Java (web) development recently. I haven't
had to worry too much about thread safety. But when I have had to give
it consideration, it was not nearly as complex as the aforementioned
methods. Mostly it comes down to accessing storage (hash tables and
the like) in a safe way, and there are stdlib classes for that.

[1] -- http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2029605/thread-safety-in-c
[2] -- https://github.com/id-Software/DOOM-3-BFG/blob/master/neo/idlib/Thread.h
[3] -- http://fabiensanglard.net/doom3_bfg/threading.php

--