[ale] trimming messages - was Old host you want to unload?

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Tue Jul 16 19:36:14 EDT 2013

> I'll admit I can get wordy.  I like to explore topics in depth, hopefully
> sharing useful info with others and learning myself.  I wasn't wondering
> about the size cap so much as the concept that Jim appears to have to delete
> 300 - 500 garbage messages per day.  He's obviously not talking about the
> messages that do post to the list.  I wonder if there is a way to lighten
> that load.

Any messages NOT from authorized listsrv users are moderated. Large messages
over a threshold size are also moderated.  At least these are my understandings.
 I ran a listsrv on Linux for years, but didn't use mailman, so I'm not certain
of the capabilities.

Sometimes I use the wrong email account to reply to a post. I suspect others do
this too.  Then there is all the spam email that gets sent, but trapped by the
list manager software. Some, if not all, of these have to be manually handled.
That usually means "deletion."

Spam is close to my heart, as you know personally.  I block over 90% of all
email to my mail servers just using dynamic block lists from external providers.
I'm lazy. I don't know if Jim does that or not.

Below is my new signature. It is a little too long now and it should be shorter
while still providing useful info.

--
Linux Totals: 45 devices in use
 3 Android, 1 netbk, 1 laptp, 3 Dsktps, 32 Srvs, 5 others