[ale] trimming messages - was Old host you want to unload?

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Tue Jul 16 18:56:24 EDT 2013

Brian MacLeod <nym.bnm at gmail.com> wrote:

>Bottom posted...
>
>On 7/16/13 6:21 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>>
>> However, I thought only ALE members could post.
>>
>> Perhaps you could bounce some members from the list who post
>> nothing but spam ... as opposed to ideas with excessive diversity.
>> 8-)
>>
>> Some people moderate the first 5 - 10 messages from a new member,
>> then set them free.  But, everybody's different.
>

>Members get to send, but because of the...occasional...flame fest on
>here, it would not surprise me that Jim has instituted that size cap
>to slow down any such events before things get too rowdy.  Most of the
>really long emails prior to your arrival here were of that sort.
>
>Since then, most have been yours or responses to yours (at least,
>that's what my "archive" of the list shows me).
>
>I could be wrong, but it seems reasonable...
>
>Brian

Hi Brian,

I'll admit I can get wordy.  I like to explore topics in depth, hopefully sharing useful info with others and learning myself.  I wasn't wondering about the size cap so much as the concept that Jim appears to have to delete 300 - 500 garbage messages per day.  He's obviously not talking about the messages that do post to the list.  I wonder if there is a way to lighten that load.

Sincerely,

Ron