[ale] Riddle me this

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 12:51:15 EDT 2013

Richard,

<rant>

I just when thur a nightmare with cheap tablets.  Last year, we bought
my son a tablet for his birthday. Some tablet that was blue and white
and said it was design for Kids. Problem was it didn't work with
Google Store, so he was limited on games and apps. I was a bit upset
as I spent $130 for this tablet. So we took back to Tiger Direct,
before I could finish explaining why we were return, they exchange is
for Archos 7",  that was 512GB and 8Gigs of storage and worked with
Google Play. We were back at the store when in two weeks because the
tab has broke where you plugged in to change it. Luck they replace it.

We used this for about 5 month before it has a weird issue with
charging and not coming on.  I called the company they said it was
cover, first thing was to send me a new power charger. When I got the
charger, it was different from the one that came with it. Still didn't
work. So I had to get an RMA. Took a month and I had to pay $10 to
ship it back. Their website state that a RMA takes 10 to 15 days for
them to repair them and send them back.  After 20 days, and my son
have a mental break down, because to an 8 year anything more than 15
days is life time.  I started calling, only to find out, that a repair
is this; they get the tablet, they wait for a shipment of new ones and
send you replacement. WOW, talk about un-green. Well, that 7" tablet
was either a model they were no longer making or they has so many
return that they were still waiting for a replace.

After 30 Business Days and call every day for three weeks after 15 BD.
I got a manager to say, we will upgrade your son to an 8" tablet.
Sorry for the delay.

With the time I spend on that replacement I could have bought iPad 2.
Again, Cheap is Cheap. You get what  you pay for.

I understand that were we are going with PC. I think it SUCKS! I will
keep a desktop, if I have to build it myself. Cheap Tablet are just
that. Cheap. I have seen talk about people recommend ones. My
recommendation is to teach your kids to use PC.  Or you have that much
disposal income to buy a tablet every time you turn around, go ahead
buy a cheap tablet.

I do have a tablet. I have an Asus TF101 with keyboard, but I paid
$350 for it, guess what it works and I can tell it build to last. I
heard a lot of other people complain about the fast that many of these
cheap tablets are running Android 2.3 and have their own app store.

I love linux, but seems lately with the smart phones and tablets we
are stepping back on the desktop.

</rant>

Sorry, for the rant. I friend gave me Dell that I install linux on,
load it with all kinds of cool games, gave to my son, and when it
couldn't play cartoon network or club penguin it was like gave my son
a C64.

That why I was wondering, why has one jump on this. If you could port
the apps to linux, there is a good business plan. I would paid to be
able to download an app for CN or Netflix to watch movies.

I am lucky that Hulu still plays on Linux.

By the way, from what I know, it might have change, but Netflix is
using FreeBSD for their streaming servers. I know one of the
developers who left Netflix to Yahoo!.

Thanks guys. I might look at the Google DSK to see I could get a VM
running to do what I am talking about . I know mac has something
called BlueStack, maybe there something like that.

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Richard Bronosky <richard at bronosky.com> wrote:
> Android couldn't be anymore different from a vanilla Linux distro and
> still be called Linux based. The only thing it really shares with
> Linux is the kernel.
>
> I can't speak to whether it would be easy for companies that make
> Android apps to port them to Linux. The level of difficulty would vary
> with every app. What more important is ROI potential. Right now a
> company's market is a much larger with Android than Linux. That is why
> you see Android apps with no Linux counterpart. Part of it is also the
> challenges of distribution, installation, and support.
>
> .!# RichardBronosky #!.
>

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 9:11 AM, Jay Lozier <jslozier at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Good question. How different is Android from a vanilla Linux distro? I know
>> Android use a Google JVM (Dalvik?). Are most apps written in Java/Scala? If
>> they are, I would think porting would be relatively straightforward (I may
>> be showing my ignorance).
>>

>> On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 08:44:12 -0400, Chuck Payne <terrorpup at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Riddle me this, why is that apps for android, which we all know is
>>> Linux can play netflix, rebox, and other video feed, but Linux can't?
>>> I am shocked with the number android apps that are there out there,
>>> that no one has though of create an app like crossover for android to
>>> Linux. It should be easy enough.
>>>
>>> With Flash dead for Linux, a lot of site that use it are now only a
>>> later version, thus making Linux hard to view them, but these same
>>> site have apps that work on android.
>>>
>>> Am I wrong to think, most apps for android, are nothing but web apps
>>> any that that just have a nice interface that points to a url?
>>>
>>> Yes, I understand that android is written for Arm Processors, but you
>>> think it would be easy to re-compile them for Linux.
>>>
>>> Just something I been wondering about as I have to create a windows
>>> virt for my son to use club penguin and cartoon network, when cartoon
>>> network app on android does the same thing on web, but only makes it
>>> easier to spoon feed the masses.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Terror PUP a.k.a
>>> Chuck "PUP" Payne
>>>
>>> (678) 636-9678
>>> Discover it! Enjoy it! Share it! openSUSE Linux.
>>> openSUSE -- en.opensuse.org/User:Terrorpup
>>> openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
>>> Community Manager -- Southeast Linux Foundation (SELF)
>>> skype,twiiter,identica,friendfeed -- terrorpup
>>> freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
>>> Register Linux Userid: 155363
>>>
>>> Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want
>>> to package and distribute , or create your own linux distro. Give SUSE
>>> Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.
>>> See you at Southeast Linux Fest, June 7-9, 2013 in Charlotte, NC.
>>> www.southeastlinuxfest.org
>>

>> --
>> Jay Lozier
>> jslozier at gmail.com