[ale] Old host you want to unload?

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Mon Jul 15 11:47:11 EDT 2013

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013, Jim Kinney wrote:

> In short: don't rely on technology as a role model stand-in for children.
>
> I have exactly 0 filters on the feed at my house. none. waste of time. Kids will find what interests them. If
> it's porn, you're overdue for "the talk" and that one will go on for the next several years. If the adult is
> not capable of sitting down and watching what they are and rationally explaining what is problematic about
> it, the child will begin to disregard the adult as an authority figure and view them as just another
> knee-jerker wearing blinders.

Well Said.
-----------

Signed:
Former owner of multiple ISP's, including "angelic.net" which provided
filtered internet for concerned parents and adults.

Which, when we examined the logs, these kids spent more time getting
around such things and looking at "forbidden fruit" than the rest.

Although I do like a friend (with many kids) idea/method. He keeps
limiting internet access in steps, just ahead of the kids abilities.
They have gotten really good at networking, bypassing proxies, booting
from CD's.. with a wry smile from Dad. They've gotten more interested in
the networking/tech than the p0rn and such.