[ale] If you own (almost) ANY HDD, repartition with 4k boundaries

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Sun Jan 6 14:25:18 EST 2013

These links should help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389#method2

Do some reading to make sure the service pack is all inclusive, otherwise you might have to install sp1 thrn sp2 then sp3.  Backup first.  Massive service packs occasionally crash things.  Also, if you do a full image backup and restore to the same machine, all the patches should be there.  The current xp machine with auto update on should already be at sp3 level.

The xp machine might be able to run 7 if it has 1 gb or more of ram, although I haven't tried it.  7 is lighter than vista.  I'll probably retire my old xp machine next year rather than buy another win 7.

Sincerely,

Ron