[ale] HELP - Partition Misaligned message after cloning disk

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Jan 3 17:09:24 EST 2013

Hi JD,

Thanks for that info.  I did some more research.  I'll be sharing that
in a thread with a different subject.  This might have worked if the
original source drive had been properly aligned.

Sincerely,

Ron

On 12/31/2012 5:54 PM, JD wrote:
> I think you might have been better off using parted or gparted to clone the
> disks.  Those tools, on current distros, **know** how to align on 4K sector HDDs.
>
> Your Windows performance will probably suffer too until you correct this issue.
>
> Just backup the data to that backup drive, repartition and restore.  I'm certain
> you have great backups. ;)
>

> On 12/31/2012 05:15 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> HELP.  I cloned my 500 GB hdd which was threatening failure for my laptop to a
>> new 750 GB hdd using Acronis True Image.  I told it to leave the partition sizes
>> unchanged, so the extra space at the end of the drive is unallocated.
>>
>> I can now boot both Windows 7 and Ubuntu and they work fine.  However, Disk
>> Utility in Ubuntu is giving an error message on each partition that says:
>>
>> WARNING: The partition is misaligned by xxxx bytes.  This may result in very
>> poor performance.  Repartitioning is suggested.
>>
>> The number xxxx varies by partition, and all partitions are showing the problem,
>> except for the unallocated space.  The following screen shots show each error.
>>
>> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/123112-Screenshot-01.png
>> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/123112-Screenshot-02.png
>> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/123112-Screenshot-03.png
>> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/123112-Screenshot-04.png
>>
>> Windows 7 seems to run fine and is apparently not bothered, although there may
>> be hidden effects I cannot see.  What are the implications of this?  How do I
>> fix it?  Note that I don't want to erase any data in any of the partitions.  The
>> disk is formatted as MBR.
>>
>> The following scree

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)