[ale] HELP - Partition Misaligned message after cloning disk

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Jan 3 17:07:54 EST 2013

Hi James,

Thanks for that link.  I looked it over and did some more research.
I'll be sharing that in a thread with a different subject.

Sincerely,

Ron

On 12/31/2012 5:36 PM, James Sumners wrote:
> http://jrfom.com/2010/05/03/4kb-sectors/
>
> On Monday, December 31, 2012, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     HELP.  I cloned my 500 GB hdd which was threatening failure for my
>     laptop to a new 750 GB hdd using Acronis True Image.  I told it to
>     leave the partition sizes unchanged, so the extra space at the end
>     of the drive is unallocated.
>
>     I can now boot both Windows 7 and Ubuntu and they work fine.
>      However, Disk Utility in Ubuntu is giving an error message on
>     each partition that says:
>
>     WARNING: The partition is misaligned by xxxx bytes.  This may
>     result in very poor performance.  Repartitioning is suggested.
>
>     The number xxxx varies by partition, and all partitions are
>     showing the problem, except for the unallocated space.  The
>     following screen shots show each error.
>
>     https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/123112-Screenshot-01.png
>     https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/123112-Screenshot-02.png
>     https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/123112-Screenshot-03.png
>     https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/123112-Screenshot-04.png
>
>     Windows 7 seems to run fine and is apparently not bothered,
>     although there may be hidden effects I cannot see.  What are the
>     implications of this?  How do I fix it?  Note that I don't want to
>     erase any data in any of the partitions.  The disk is formatted as
>     MBR.
>
>     The following screen shot shows the structure of the drive in Disk
>     Manager in Windows.  The 97 GB partition is the Linux partition
>     and it is EXT4.
>
>     https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/123112-Screenshot-05.png
>
>     Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>     Sincerely,
>
>     Ron
>

> --
> James Sumners
> http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/
>
> "All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts
> pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it
> is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become
> drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted."
>
> Missionaria Protectiva, Text QIV (decto)
> CH:D 59

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com