[ale] DEs vs pure WMs

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 12:46:41 EST 2013

It isn't an IDE (integrated development environment) but it is a DE
(desktop environment) :)

I think the primary reason to use a DE is for cohesion. Simply using a
window manager leads to a higher degree of mismatched interfaces (e.g.
program A is a Gnome program and program B is a KDE program). A
desktop environment tends to ship with all of the basic tools (e.g.
browser and terminal emulator) so that the primary tools have a
consistent interface.

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/