[ale] [OT] IT Nostalgia

Justin W Elam justin.w.elam at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 18:15:27 EST 2013

Both Linotype, Off-set, and Block type are " lost arts " as  everything now
is electronic and 'online'.

There are only a few firms still doing it today.

My uncle did offset, binding, and other small jobs.  My aunt did Linotype,
and eventually moved to doing Adobe ® typography.

My other uncle did newspaper compositing.  And another did Paper Mill
management.

Now With a click of a mouse, a few terminal commands, a few keys turned,
and a few lighted buttons pressed.  Allows the paper to be heated, pressed,
rolled, cut, shipped, and eventually printed and delivered to the newsrack
or your home  with the scores, articles, photographs, and comment from last
night's big event.

How many more professions are becoming lost arts due to digitalization and
technology?

###