[ale] [OT] IT Nostalgia

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 09:12:50 EST 2013

As a small boy I spent many a Saturday morning in a newspaper composing
room in the '50s. Setting type with a lin-o-type machine was/is a highly
skilled job.  The operator is responsible for all the hyphenation needed
to justify the lines of type.  The keyboard is different from a querty
typewriter and requires much more force to depress the key than for a
manual typewriter of the day.  One of the things the machine does when the
operator hits the EOL key is slide kerning shims into the line of letter
molds to pad it out to the full column width.

Most lin-o-type machines only handled one type size and face, but had the
molds for italic and bold face in the machine. The machine spit out the
slugs or lines of type.  Of course there was the delay needed to let the
molten lead cool enough to be released from the molds.

I'll never know why more printers didn't die of lead poisoning as
headlines were cast in separate machines and then the cast lead was
trimmed on a bandsaw to fit in the page form. The room was constantly filled
with a haze of fumes from the pots of molten lead and the dust from the
bandsaws. This gave rise to the headline style common throughout the first
half of the 20th century where the first letter of each word is
capitalized.  This allowed more of the "space" between the words to be
carved away to get the headline to fit.

Converting a composing room from "hot lead" to "cold type" was more
difficult than you might think -- especially so when a strong printers union
was in place.  I was once hired as an editor for a newspaper about to deal
with that conversion because I thoroughly understood both processes and
had experience working with unionized composing rooms. One of the senior
printers there was the grandson of Ottmar Merganthaler, the man who
invented the Linotype machine before 1890.

Sean