[ale] Linux friendly motherboad recommendations?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 15:45:33 EST 2013

I have an ASRock than is fairly weak. The onboard USB3 and external SATA
are both using very weak/poor chips that have little support in the kernel.
It's been a while since I built that system but I do clearly recall the
"note to self: next time buy a better board" conversation.

The ASUS and Gigabyte systems I've built have all been pretty solid.

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Calvin Harrigan
<calvin.harrigan at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 12/2/2013 3:18 PM, Beddingfield, Allen wrote:
>
>> I'm looking to build a new desktop at home, based on one of the AMD FX 8
>> core CPUs.  Microcenter has a few motherboards available as a bundle.  It
>> comes down to MSI, ASRock (never heard of that brand), Gigabyte, and Asus.
>>  I've had good luck with Gigabyte and Asus in the past.  Does anyone have
>> any particular preference or opinion on those brands?  It will be for a
>> Linux system running OpenSUSE.  I would expect any modern board to be okay
>> on Linux support, but it has been a while since I have purchased a
>> motherboard and I thought I would solicit some opinions!
>> Allen B.
>>
>>  <snip>
>
> There are so many motherboard options, it's enough to spin your head.
> What I do is stick with a trusted brand, MSI/ASUS/etc. Then make sure the
> chipset and peripherals are supported in the kernel.  The chipset meaning
> mostly the southbridge, onboard video if any, onboard audio if required and
> very importantly the onboard nic.
>
> ASRock is downbranded Asus if I remember correctly...
>
> Some links that might help:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport
> http://linuxhcl.com/browse/search?category=7

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*