[ale] Linux friendly motherboad recommendations?

Calvin Harrigan calvin.harrigan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 15:33:20 EST 2013

On 12/2/2013 3:18 PM, Beddingfield, Allen wrote:
> I'm looking to build a new desktop at home, based on one of the AMD FX 8 core CPUs.  Microcenter has a few motherboards available as a bundle.  It comes down to MSI, ASRock (never heard of that brand), Gigabyte, and Asus.  I've had good luck with Gigabyte and Asus in the past.  Does anyone have any particular preference or opinion on those brands?  It will be for a Linux system running OpenSUSE.  I would expect any modern board to be okay on Linux support, but it has been a while since I have purchased a motherboard and I thought I would solicit some opinions!
> Allen B.

<snip>

There are so many motherboard options, it's enough to spin your head.
What I do is stick with a trusted brand, MSI/ASUS/etc. Then make sure
the chipset and peripherals are supported in the kernel.  The chipset
meaning mostly the southbridge, onboard video if any, onboard audio if
required and very importantly the onboard nic.

ASRock is downbranded Asus if I remember correctly...

Some links that might help:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport
http://linuxhcl.com/browse/search?category=7