[ale] Would you get Redhat Tomcat from Redhat or Apache?

Scott McBrien smcbrien at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 13:45:48 EDT 2013

You have to make sure they keep their stuff updated.  If there's a vulnerability or sometimes bug in the version redhat ships, they back port the fix from upstream into the older version they maintain.  If you go with apache's version, you get to do this.

Where you start to get into problems is with the security compliance folks.  The original post said 'Financial Application'.  If its for a publicly traded company, now the box is probably now SOX.  If its credit card, now its PCI in-scope.  The latter requires that all security updates are applied within 30 days of vendor release.  If you go with Red Hats tomcat, that's 30 days from when Red Hat releases an update.  And, like I said before, because they back port, things will probably be just fine with the update.  However, if you roll your own, you either have to do your own back porting (and be able to prove to an auditor that what you're doing is effective and proper) or grab the latest from apache.org because Apache is your 'vendor'.  So when they stop maintaining a branch of tomcat, you have 30 days to get your machine using the latest version, complete with all the JVM, obsoleted ABI stuff, and other application things that may mean that your app doesn't work anymore.

If your application is for a non-public company or does not have any other type of security policy like PCI, STIG, HIPA requirements, you can do what you want, but it might not be a bad idea to follow a policy that *might* be appropriate at some time in the future as the only constant is change.

-Scott