[ale] More on LEDs...

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Sun Aug 11 17:19:27 EDT 2013

Hi Mike W and all,

It's cool to see that you have found the new LED's to be acceptable.
These recent developments are very encouraging.  I think that, any time
a CFL burns out, I may replace it with a LED, although I have a number
of spare CFL's.  I don't know much about directional lighting though and
don't think I have any.

Your comments prompted me to do some additional research.

In the previous discussion, I was encouraged to look at these things in
terms of lumens rather than incandescent wattage equivalent.  This is
very difficult, but obviously desirable.  One reason it's difficult is
that I have no sense of how many lumens light an area, but I do have a
sense of how many watts do so.  I guess this is just a matter of practice.

I dug up these articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_lamp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent_lamp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent_lamp_formats
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incandescent_light_bulb

These have lots of good info, although some of the info in one article
is questioned.  In general, I think wikipedia is a good source.

The other reason that it's hard to think in lumens is that there is lots
of marketing BS out there.

To help, I made the following from a chart in the incandescent lamp
article.  This shows the lumen output of each type of each standard
incandescent bulb.  I don't know where they got the data, but the
numbers seem reasonable.  I've added a third column that computes the
numbers for an acceptable 10% variance from the norm, when considering
whether an LED light bulb is indeed equivalent to an incandescent bulb
of X wattage.

Incandescent Bulb Output Chart

Power (W) ----- Output (lm) ----- Acceptable +/- 10%
5         -----   25        -----   23 -   28
15        -----  110        -----   99 -  121
25        -----  200        -----  180 -  220
40        -----  500        -----  450 -  550
60        -----  850        -----  765 -  935
75        ----- 1200        ----- 1080 - 1320
100       ----- 1700        ----- 1530 - 1870
150       ----- 2850        ----- 2565 - 3135

So, if I'm buying a bulb that claims to be 60 W equivalent, it should be
between 765 and 935 lumens.  If it's outside this range, I'm going to
avoid buying it and assume the manufacturer is trying to mislead the
customer by making them think they're getting more light than they
really will.  I saw some 40 W equivalent candelabra bulbs that output
300 lumens.  I would not buy those as I consider the labeling misleading.

When I mentioned the possibility of replacing the 4' FL tubes we have,
my wife said don't bother.  The fixtures are ugly.  Just replace the
whole thing.  I guess she's got a point.  I think I'll defer that till
later.  New 4 - 6 bulb fixtures and 4 - 6 LED's would probably cost me $
200 - $ 300.

I need to find a place to recycle 4' FL tubes and 8-9" circle FL tubes.

If the packaging on a bulb doesn't tell the color temperature (2700 K is
soft white) and the lifespan in hours or something that's convertible to
hours and doesn't say if it's dimmable, I'd probably avoid it.  As
others mentioned previously in the other thread, you might also have to
consider if they're rated for enclosed use and if they are orientation
sensitive.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Ron